Monday, January 5, 2009

Ironies of traveling

So, it took seven flights, and nineteen days for me to finally declare DC as home. This is quite shocking because in the four plus months that we have lived here, it has not so much as crossed my mind...except to maybe assert that DC would never be my home.

However, after a brutal day of travel yesterday -- we left the house at 5:20 AM, with connections and layovers in Mexico City and Chicago, and didn't arrive home until 11:40 PM -- I have finally succumbed to the realization that Chicago is no longer my home. For the past four months, and for at least the next twenty months, home is in Washington, DC (or Fairfax, Virginia if you want to be truly accurate). As great as it was to see everyone, and as much as I miss everyone already, it is truly a relief to be home. Sleeping in my own bed had never been so enjoyable.

Well, back to work...and only 3 more hours until I go home. Hmmm...I wonder where are next home will be? Hopefully, our next city will be our last. We did a lot of talking this past week and we cannot wait to find a city, buy a house, and make it our home. Oh and start a family too...but for all you antsy parents and aunts and uncles and friends, don't get your hopes up too soon. We aren't ready for little ones anytime soon. At least not while home is in DC because who would we have babysit? :)

Love always,

Stephanie & Shane

PS -- Happy 2009 to everyone!

No comments: